all white3

Published on July 20th, 2011 | by Greg

0

Turtle Pens- Worth Cracking The Shell

A good pen is not that hard to fine. They are cheap, plen­ti­ful, and fair­ly durable. Ca­pa­ble of be­ing car­ried just about any­where, the hum­ble ball­point pen can al­so come in many forms. We’ve got a pen col­lec­tor on staff, who has tried out ev­ery­thing from ex­pen­sive Mont Blancs to high-end Pi­lots and Tombows. And we’ve been test­ing the lat­est writ­ing in­stru­ment from one pen com­pa­ny that you prob­a­bly haven’t heard of- Tur­tle.

The Tur­tle Work Ball­point Pen is avail­able with a few dif­fer­ent sized tips, and in blue or black. And the sell­ing point here isn’t so much writ­ing qual­i­ty or spe­cial ink of course- it works well and writes clean­ly- but in­stead the unique mech­a­nism. Spe­cial­ty pens are pret­ty easy to find, but none of­fer a de­sign quite like this one. The Tur­tle Work of­fers an in­tim­i­dat­ing first im­pres­sion, as it comes with a case that weighs much more than the pen it­self and en­tombs it snug­ly but doesn’t ac­tu­al­ly work so well to car­ry around the pen as it’s quite bulky.

Once out of the case, the pen it­self con­tin­ues to con­fuse and de­light new users who can’t im­me­di­ate­ly fig­ure out how to get it work­ing. The videos on their site are clear enough, but the idea of pulling open the mid­dle of the pen feels de­light­ful­ly trans­gres­sive. Most pens would sim­ply break or you’d get ink on your fin­gers, but on this one a quick pull-and-twist mo­tion is re­quired. It’s nifty, even if the “tur­tle head” ex­tend­able cas­ing around the nib of the pen doesn’t al­ways re­tract quite as smooth­ly as we might wish. The stain­less steel feels nice in the hand, if a lit­tle off-bal­ance and hefty. The lo­go is quite and un­ob­tru­sive, and the en­tire de­sign feels sol­id and al­most bomb-proof. At $60 or so, it’s a lot of pen for the mon­ey. Avail­able di­rect­ly from Tur­tle, on­line.

Tags: ,