all pac_a120e_-_smaller

Published on August 27th, 2011 | by Greg

0

Hot? Cool? Solve Both With The Portable DeLonghi PAC 130HPE

One weird thing about San Fran­cis­co- de­spite the com­plaints of Mark Twain and many oth­ers, it’s gen­er­al­ly pret­ty nice around these parts. Sure, we’re based in the Mis­sion, the sun­ni­est of the lo­cal mi­cro­cli­mates. And yes, the South Bay and East Bay are prob­a­bly even nicer. But we don’t strain in­to the high tem­per­a­tures that plague much of the coun­try, and while we might need some heat­ing to stay cozy ev­ery now and then, it won’t be snow­ing or even get­ting frosty but on the rarest of oc­ca­sions.

These mean that we don’t have much need for con­stant­ly run­ning air con­di­tion­ers, nor do we have the sort of heat­ing is­sues that you might find in the Mid­west or the East Coast. But that doesn’t mean that we nev­er need a unit- it’s just hard to know which one we will need, and the on­ly thing for cer­tain is that Bay Area res­i­dents won’t need much of ei­ther type of tem­per­a­ture ad­just­ment for long un­til the weath­er swings the oth­er di­rec­tion. We re­cent­ly need­ed a de­cent-sized unit for our of­fices, which were ut­ter­ly un­equipped for cli­mate con­trol, but we want­ed a portable unit that could hide un­ob­tru­sive­ly and han­dle both heat­ing and cool­ing du­ties. We want­ed, in short, the De­Longhi PAC 130H­PE.

A prod­uct big enough to have not one but two sites to it­self de­serves some tech­ni­cal ex­am­i­na­tion. The most im­por­tant mea­sure, as al­ways, is the BTU count- and this air-to-air unit of­fers up 13000 of them. Dur­ing cold­er times, it can al­so crank up to 3800 watts of heat­ing pow­er. We most­ly have been us­ing the A/C func­tion, but did test the heat­ing el­e­ments a bit. Set­up was pret­ty easy, once the unit was un­packed and out of the box, and hauled in­to place. An ex­haust hose and win­dow brack­et are in­clud­ed, though our par­tic­u­lar lo­ca­tion re­quired a bit of ex­tra work we have pri­mar­i­ly swing-out win­dows. Af­ter some wor­ry­ing, we found a way to vent through a small­er win­dow. We liked that there was no drip tray to wor­ry about, or re­al­ly much con­den­sa­tion at all- the unit re­cy­cles mois­ture and han­dled it pret­ty well.

One of the most frus­trat­ing parts of any air con­di­tion­er is the noise- and un­for­tu­nate­ly, the PAC 130H­PE (part of their Pin­guino line) isn’t qui­et. Three modes are avail­able, of­fer­ing a trio of fan speeds, but none that al­lowed us to fall asleep near­by the unit eas­i­ly. It cer­tain­ly wasn’t a grat­ing noise- just a con­sis­tent hum. We liked the pow­er of this unit- it is rat­ed to han­dle a 450 square foot room- and though we weren’t try­ing to over­come South­west sun­shine, we man­aged a com­fort­able five-de­gree drop with­out wait­ing too long, in a room about 400 square feet. The unit’s in­struc­tion man­u­al seemed to chide us a bit- sug­gest­ing that we turn off heat sources and block out the sun to help pre­vent heat. We took the ad­vice, and pri­mar­i­ly used the Smart func­tion to let the unit de­cide what was best for us.

What was good for the room, though, wasn’t great for our backs. De­spite the built-in han­dles, and the de­cent wheels (which can lock), the unit still weighed over 70 pounds. ‘Portable’, we sup­pose, but def­i­nite­ly not some­thing you want to move around all that of­ten. Get­ting it up a flight of stairs proved to be a bru­tal task, re­quir­ing us to call in folks from be­yond our writ­er’s pool- most of us aren’t ex­act­ly bulky. And once in place, we were sad­dened that the vent can­not be redi­rect­ed- it blows air in a fixed di­rec­tion. The re­mote con­trol was handy if not at­trac­tive, as was the on-board LCD screen with a 24-hour timer that al­lows you to set­up your de­sired hours of op­er­a­tion.

Heat­ing op­er­a­tion wasn’t as im­pres­sive as the size might sug­gest, but that’s per­haps be­cause it didn’t seem di­rect­ed for the best ef­fi­cien­cy. A small space heater can get clos­er to you, and point di­rect­ly at you, so if you aren’t try­ing to heat or cool a larg­er area, then you might be bet­ter off with one of those. The same was true to a less­er ex­tent of the de­hu­mid­i­fi­er func­tion- oth­er spe­cial-pur­pose mod­els that we’ve test­ed have done a bet­ter job, in a small­er and cheap­er pack­age. But there was no ques­tion that this unit could han­dle it well (and rel­a­tive­ly qui­et­ly). One func­tion that it didn’t of­fer was an in­ter­est­ing omis­sion- air pu­rifi­ca­tion, some­thing that is of­ten miss­ing from A/C units but would be handy.

Over­all, this unit might be overkill for some folks, and not enough for oth­ers. It suf­fers a bit from try­ing to do sev­er­al things, but that’s a good part of why we liked it- for our pur­pos­es, it was per­fect, of­fer­ing a blend of heat­ing and cool­ing in the right place at the right time. If you’re suf­fer­ing from a heat wave and 100 de­gree plus tem­per­a­tures, this isn’t the unit for you (and we sug­gest mov­ing here). The same is true if you are freez­ing. If you are try­ing to leave it in one place for good, con­sid­er a more per­ma­nent so­lu­tion; the same if you want some­thing tru­ly portable to take around reg­u­lar­ly. But for the folks in be­tween, with an apart­ment or good-size room that could just use some ex­tra heat­ing or cool­ing and who like the abil­i­ty to shift the lo­ca­tion or eas­i­ly hide it in a clos­et, the De­Longhi PAC-130H­PE. At $600 or so in­clud­ing ship­ping, we can’t sug­gest it for ev­ery­one. But it so far has held up well, and though it won’t be giv­ing the Rab­bit Air any com­pe­ti­tion in looks, it gets mul­ti­ple jobs done nice­ly.

Tags: , , ,