all 225146112

Published on February 24th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Epson VS350W: 3700 Lumens For Under $1000

It’s Os­car week- and this Sun­day, we’ll be en­joy­ing the big show on a gi­ant screen. And we can’t help but sug­gest a change in your au­dio­vi­su­al equip­ment, though we don’t mean that you need an­oth­er TV. But if you’re tired of be­ing lim­it­ed to a tiny screen, less than five feet across, we’ve got the per­fect so­lu­tion (and it’ll save you some mon­ey).

Ep­son was nice enough to send one of their lat­est pro­jec­tors our way, which came in handy dur­ing the Su­per­bowl last month and for many pre­sen­ta­tions in the mean­time. We set up the VS350W Mul­ti­me­dia Pro­jec­tor, and com­pared it to a pre­vi­ous Ep­son mod­el, the EX7200. The VS350W of­fers plen­ty more bright­ness, at 3700 lu­mens ver­sus 2600, though runs at the same na­tive res­o­lu­tion (WX­GA or 1280×800). As al­ways, Ep­son went with 3L­CD in­stead of DLP tech­nol­o­gy, which are now more or less equal in our opin­ion. And the 16:10 as­pect ra­tio is a more nat­u­ral fit than 4:3 for many cas­es.

As we said in the pre­vi­ous re­view, pro­jec­tors do have some down­sides, re­quir­ing a fair bit of throw
dis­tance, a dark room, and that you place the unit care­ful­ly to avoid block­ing the im­age. But the bright­ness of the VS350W meant that we could play Dance Cen­tral dur­ing the day­time with­out wor­ry­ing about hav­ing the shades com­plete­ly closed. We loved the in­stant on/off fea­ture, which re­moves one of the most an­noy­ing things about most pro­jec­tors- the warm-up and cool-down time. The lamp is built to last over 4000 hours, and we’re still us­ing the orig­i­nal bulb on the EX7200 de­spite a cross-coun­try trip and sev­er­al moves. We’ll def­i­nite­ly trust the build qual­i­ty of Ep­son’s pro­jec­tors, and there is a two-year war­ran­ty in place as well. We didn’t need it, but they al­so in­clude Pri­vate­Line toll-free sup­port for im­me­di­ate as­sis­tance.

The re­mote is sim­i­lar, de­cent if un­ex­cep­tion­al, and runs on two AA bat­ter­ies which are in­clud­ed in the box. As be­fore, we liked the ad­di­tion of a car­ry­ing case. The built-in speak­er won’t be of much use for movies or gam­ing, but can han­dle some sound ef­fects for pre­sen­ta­tions. This is a pow­er­ful sys­tem that is ex­cel­lent for sta­tion­ary busi­ness or class­room use and pret­ty good for road war­riors and home users; the on­ly down­sides are the fair­ly large foot­print and sev­en pound weight, as well as a lack of dig­i­tal in­put. We’re used to HD­MI, and were a bit sad that the in­puts here are com­pos­ite, S-video, and VGA.

The VS350W bal­ances bright­ness and price, leav­ing most com­peti­tors in the dust. Blacks were rich and dark, and we no­ticed no ar­ti­fact or con­trast is­sues, re­gard­less of source. It’s not ul­tra-qui­et- they list it at 35-40 dB, which seemed ac­cu­rate when us­ing a clean air fil­ter. And the dust fil­tra­tion sys­tem does re­quire some main­te­nance, but it’s sim­ple. Over­all, this is a great pro­jec­tor, and easy to rec­om­mend to any­one up­grad­ing an old­er mod­el or in need of an ex­treme­ly bright and rea­son­ably priced unit. Avail­able on­line and in stores for around $920.

Tags: ,