all led-square-4-inch-flameless-candle-with-holder-and-touch-control-base-1

Published on March 7th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Energizer: Not Just Batteries!

LEDs are ev­ery­where. Sure, your elec­tron­ics will in­clude a few to in­di­cate pow­er, and your ap­pli­ances will use them for clocks. But they’ve found their way in­to ev­ery niche in the home, from pro­jec­tors, tele­vi­sions and mon­i­tors, to reg­u­lar home light­ing. It’s this last cat­e­go­ry that in­ter­ests us to­day, with three items from a com­pa­ny best known for their bat­ter­ies.

As part of the In­ter­na­tion­al House­wares As­so­ci­a­tion prod­uct pre­view show, we vis­it­ed with En­er­giz­er. The best place to start is prob­a­bly with the most gen­er­al use of the trio- the Edge 6″ Flame­less Can­dle. We’ve seen oth­er flame­less can­dles be­fore and been a bit dis­ap­point­ed, but they’ve great­ly im­proved- both the col­or and flick­er of this mod­el will al­most cer­tain­ly sur­prise you if you have any lin­ger­ing neg­a­tive im­pres­sions of oth­ers. Pow­ered by three AAA bat­ter­ies (one guess at who makes them), this one is flex­i­ble enough for bed­room, din­ing room, and liv­ing room use, and is rat­ed to last 300 or so hours un­til the bat­ter­ies need chang­ing. We liked the easy touch con­trol, though it wasn’t al­ways ob­vi­ous to vis­i­tors, as well as the stur­dy build and bal­anced weight (no wor­ries about knock­ing this ‘can­dle’ over). Fi­nal­ly, it in­cludes a four-hour timer that turns off the can­dle au­to­mat­i­cal­ly- a nice fea­ture, per­haps, but it did an­noy us once or twice since it doesn’t ap­pear to be con­trol­lable. At $30, it’s a pret­ty good deal- and they make a few oth­er less ex­pen­sive mod­els as well.

Next up, the Glas Path Light is their en­try in­to a pret­ty wide­ly need­ed cat­e­go­ry- the night light. Tech­ni­cal­ly, they’re aim­ing it at a more spe­cif­ic au­di­ence- those who need a light for stair­cas­es and hall­ways- but it’s more or less a stan­dard night­light al­beit one with a very down-fo­cused beam. The col­or on this one is more stan­dard white, but is nice and dim, per­fect for late nights when you don’t want some­thing bright wak­ing you up. A 90 sec­ond timer au­to­mat­i­cal­ly shuts it off, and the mo­tion ac­ti­va­tion works even in dark­ness. $12.

Fi­nal­ly, an item that was a bit more di­vi­sive. We have plen­ty of light­ing op­tions in most ar­eas, but some spots- un­der­neath cab­i­nets and shelves pri­mar­i­ly- a lit­tle ex­tra il­lu­mi­na­tion would be nice. Hence the Glas Un­der Cab­i­net Light. You can chain them to­geth­er, and the col­or is a neu­tral white which is pret­ty good for kitchens. But the black, some­what thick base wasn’t nice-look­ing un­der cab­i­netry, and though the lights stayed cool and worked well, we would’ve liked dim­ming abil­i­ty. LEDs are en­er­gy ef­fi­cient, of course, and last for­ev­er, and the price on this unit is a rea­son­able $60.

Tags: ,